CONTACT US

NEWMAN CENTER OFFICE

Mon-Fri 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

Ph.: 951-682-8751

Fax: 951-682-3513

  • Grey Facebook Icon
ADDRESS

105 W. Big Springs Road, Riverside, CA 92507

© 2019 St. Andrew's Neman Center - Riverside

OUR HISTORY

​The growth of the Catholic student community has been intertwined with the growth of the University of California at Riverside (UCR) since its opening in 1954. The Newman Center was established under the direction of Fr. Waldo, O.S.B. and Dr. Paul Desjardins, the first faculty advisor. Watkins House at 3701 Canyon Crest Drive served as a meeting place for the Catholic student community of UCR. Watkins House was an inter-faith facility that served students of various Christian denominiations and Jewish students. During the 1950's, the Newman Club was supported by local parishes in Riverside, such as St. Catherine of Alexandria and St. Francis de Sales. Members of the Riverside community often took students to Mass. The Catholic student community at UCR participated actively in events sponsored by Watkins House, such as Thanksgiving dinners and summer camps for Riverside children. 


Between 1967 and 1971 Franciscans Fathers. Patrick O'connor, Theodore Herzberg and Leo Sprietsma provided leadership to the growing community. The Friars of the Western Dominican Province began ministering here with the arrival of Fathers Gregory Anderson and Bruno Gibson in 1972. The University Religious Center gave Watkins House to the University as a gift. The Newman Center found a new home in the University Village Shopping Center at Watkins Drive and W. Big Springs Road.

By the 1980's, the shopping center could no longer accommodate the growing Catholic student community at UCR and RCC; it became necessary to find a permanent location for the Newman Center. The announcement of plans to build the St. Andrew's Newman Center was made on January 27, 1985, during a reception for the 25th anniversary of the Newman Center. The site chosen for the new St. Andrew's Newman Center was the lot adjacent to the shopping center. An outpouring of support from UCR, the Diocese of San Bernardino and the Riverside community went into the construction of the Newman Center.  The St. Andrew's Newman Center was dedicated on October 21, 1989.  The celebrant at the dedication was Philip F. Straling, Bishop of San Bernardino, Fathers John Flannery, O.P., Jude Eli, O.P. and Michael Harnett, O.P. concelebrated. 

On December 11, 2016, the Dominican Province announced with heavy hearts that they were returning Saint Andrew's Newman Center at the University of California Riverside to San Bernardino Dioceses.  This became effective June 30, 2017.

WHO ARE WE

St. Andrew's Newman Center is a campus ministry that complements the secular education provided at University of California at Riverside and Riverside City College.  We provide a home for the students, members of the university and college communities, and others who choose to join in our mission.

WHAT WE DO

Our mission is to strengthen the faith of these groups and develop their gifts so that they may grow into passionate, faithful disciples of Christ and leaders of the Catholic Church.

HOW WE DO IT

We are a place of welcome, a worshipping community, a place of generous hospitality, and a resource for those seeking to learn about Scripture, the sacraments and Catholic tradition.  We are a place where we reach out to others with love and an informed sense of justice.

OUR MISSION